Earlier this month we hosted some of our new Councillor Tree Champions for an induction day with the Woodland Trust. We decided that as we work closely with a number of local authorities, it would be a great idea to have some ‘champions’ across the country, helping to speak up for better policies for trees, more tree planting and saving ancient woodland (to name but a few!).
It was a very successful day with excellent discussion around how the councillors could help. Ideas and discussion included:
- Checking whether their council has a trees and woods strategy
- Putting down a motion about trees and woods
- Planting trees!
- Letting people know about our free community and school tree packs
- Finding out whether developers are felling trees before submitting planning applications
- How to get trees and woods on the health agenda
- Neighbourhood planning in relation to trees
…to name but a few. Do you have ideas on how else councillors can support a well-wooded country, enjoyed and valued by everyone? Please feel free to comment.
All in all it was a really inspiring day for us and great to get some enthusiastic and dedicated councillors helping us more across the country! Watch this space…
Ellie Henderson, Regional Policy Officer