As our Jubilee Woods project comes to an end, after the planting of the 6 millionth tree recently, I have been reflecting on the success of the project and how incredible the level of participation was.
In the Government Affairs team, part of our job is to work closely with Local Authorities. So I am particularly pleased to see that so many of them have partnered with us in planting millions of trees across the country. It goes to show that even in these tough times, it is possible to prioritise tree planting and important to do so, as it helps local authorities to achieve a lot, whilst also potentially saving them money. Life really is better with trees.
This has inspired me to put together a map showing recent planting by Local Authorities, in the hope that we can inspire others to consider this…
- can save mowing costs – as shown in our ‘Trees or Turf’ Report
- improves air quality and lowers asthma rates as detailed in our ‘Trees Are Good For You document (pdf)
- planting can be fully funded
- better access to woodland is good for peoples physical and mental health
- reduces noise pollution
- can help with flood alleviation
- increases property prices
….the list of reasons to plant trees is very long indeed! It may take a bit of creative thinking in these economic times, but all this recent planting just goes to show that it is possible.
Ellie Henderson, Regional Policy Officer – South East